Friday, March 4, 2011

EconomPics Turns Three... EconomRIP Edition

Well, its been a full year since EconomPic Turned Two, which means EconomPic turned 3 today (unreal). As many a reader may remember, I begged and pleaded (or at least asked) a year back for help finding a job in San Francisco. After a lot of reader insight, help, and connections... nothing. Apparently there are easier things in life than finding a job 3000 miles away, during a jobless recovery, following a severe recession, when you don't know anyone in that city.

So, finally determined to move I had "the talk" with my "real job" (i.e. I gave my intention to move even if it meant walking away) and guess what? They are open to me (with some interesting arrangements) living in San Francisco after all. Who knew! So after 11 long, great, amazing years in New York City, I am headed west.

Which brings me to EconomPic. From this blogs March 4th, 2008 inception, through one of the more interesting / scary recessions of the past 70-80 years and subsequent rebound, blogging has been a pure joy. It provided me with an outlet to hone my "craft" (what I do here is very applicable to my "real" job) and it's taught me a TON about the world (it provided a huge incentive to "dig" into the data and my readers taught me more over the years than I imagined possible).

BUT, all good things must come to an end.

As long time readers are already well aware, my postings have been WAY down (i.e. lower quantity) and the posts I have done are much less commentary and much more day to day data in chart form (i.e. lower quality from templates I've created over years) the past 3-4 months. This is simply a result of what has been a lack of desire / lack of time to post (the "real" job has been taking up a lot more of my "free" time, the new arrangement will make that much worse). As a result, my three year anniversary seems like an ideal time to bow out. At least for now.

So, while I will not count out coming "out of retirement" if the desire returns or if the economy starts to go a new and interesting direction (or the new working arrangements don't work out), should that not happen I want to take this time to let all my royal readers over the past three years (2300+ RSS subscriber is still shocking) that I will miss you all.

-Jake


P.S. In the coming weeks, I plan to post a "Table of Contents" that will help direct readers through the 2224 posts (by topic) and data sources

41 comments:

  1. good luck in SF. Thanks for 3 year of great blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NO. This has been a great blog and I really enjoyed the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to say a very big thanks to you Jake for all the work over the years. Just unreal when you think about it in total. I am bummed to see you go but I think you are going to do great out West. Hope to hear from you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jake, best wishes with your future endeavors. I moved to SF bay area 23 years ago after growing up on east coast and getting two degrees from east coast colleges. I've never regretted the decision and have never had the urge to move back. Enjoyed your blog. It has been one of my "go to" sites for a quick read. I have also discovered some of my other favorite sites from your links. (Kimble and Short).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate to see this end. Thanks for all your effort and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on this blog and good luck to your new job.

    Sad to see such a great blog go under. ;(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all your posts over the years. This was an excellent data blog. Congratulations and best of luck in SF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a real blow to the financial blogosphere.

    Thank-you very much for your fantastic content over the past 3 years!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your great work.

    Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am sad to have this come to an end especially since these charts were so helpful to me! I have been with you since early 2008 so this will put a dent on my economic news updates. I too have recently decided to hang up my blogging hat for a while as not to stretch myself too thin so I understand where you're heading. Dont forget to keep the site online :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really enjoyed this blog, and I hope you have a great time in SF, I hope it works out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Jake! As one of the numerous silent readers I have greatly enjoyed your blog and learned a lot along the way. Many mornings I'd notice a BLS or CPI report due and instantly think I needed to go check your RSS feed. This will be deeply missed.

    Best of luck in your new endeavors and I really appreciate all of your hard work here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Jeff nailed it in the last comment. We even shared Skateboard memories! I am getting bummed out again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll add my thanks, Jake. I really enjoyed your insights and elegant graphs.

    Remote working can be a challenge. Best of luck. And be sure to find time to enjoy San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  15. From the mountains of data dross put out by organisations and the media every day, you have managed to create beautiful and insightful charts. I have been amazed at how you always managed to put a fresh and interesting slant on some dull stuff - you have a way with bar charts that the world would do well to study. I will miss you posts. Thank you for you efforts and good luck with your new life

    Chris, Haslemere UK

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to see your blog go, i really liked your way to make a point with a good graphic. Good luck in SF.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for the kind words. I really do appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Im one of the 2300 that has been silently reading for years. Just wanted to say a big thank you and best of luck - Your site will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Big thanks for your effort. It is very usual for a blog come to an end in this manner. Been there, done that.

    It has been very educating and interesting to read this despite living in Finland far away from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope to see you soon blogging again....

    Thanks for the good posts

    ReplyDelete
  21. Going to miss you, dude. You did some of the best work in the blogosphere.

    I'll keep you in the RSS feed as I suspect that if the Jets win the Super Bowl we will be hearing from you again. I will refrain from any comments about hell freezing over.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jake - you will be deeply missed. You were one of my "Homepages" for economic news and insights.

    Good luck in SanFran.

    A silent fan and consumer of your fine graphics, analyses and commentaries for 3 years!

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you for the great "economic eye candy". i will miss my daily visits to your blog.

    best wishes for your SF move. i moved to SF in 1978 and i'm still here. it was probably the best thing i ever did!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gutted to hear you are stopping blogging, but glad to hear things are working out for you. You will be sadly missed. Thanks for all the hard work & dedication, charts, and band recommendations (I'd never heard Stars by Hum before, was a wonderful moment!!). Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry to hear the news Jake but of course you have great things ahead of you. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nuts! Another fine blog gone.
    Good luck in San Francisco!
    rharris

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good luck in SF. I've enjoyed your blog very much.

    sc

    ReplyDelete
  28. your self-initiative and determination are admirable, sir.

    really gonna miss your stuff.

    best of luck with your new life.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for all the great posts, and best of luck in all your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A real loss for me, but congratulations on the big move! Thanks again for 3 years of great content.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for all the great postings, I really appreciate the work you've done here and wish you all the best in San Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another long time reader, first time poster here. I really enjoyed your blog, best of luck in SF.

    ReplyDelete
  33. noooooo Jake
    have a good chance
    but I hate you...:-)
    because yours pics was the best....
    accidenti
    ciaoooo from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sucks dude! I'm sure you'll get the urge again sooner or later. Maybe these comments will light the fire sooner...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Jake,

    Your posting will be missed. Thanks for all the hard work and insightful graphics.

    Good luck on the West Coast.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  36. Good luck with your new journey. Thanks for Blogging !!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I will miss reading your insightful posts.

    Good luck in SF.

    - a long time subscriber

    ReplyDelete
  38. grats on keeping yoru job.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete
  39. Jake,

    Thanks for all the great posts and all the great charts -- you will be missed! Good luck in S.F.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm going to miss this site!

    <:c (

    ReplyDelete
  41. Following your blog has been a nice experience. Try continuing. Regards for rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete